Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The definition of "Famous"

My daughter came up to me recently with the magic words "Mom, I want to learn about my Family History" (at least that's what I heard.) I was floating on air and envisioning finally having a research buddy! I printed out her four-generation pedigree and got her a binder to keep the info in, all while telling some of my favorite stories.

As I handed the "prize" over to a very bored-faced 9 yr old, I heard "Mom, all I want to know is if we're related to anyone famous."

Taking that blow, I took a deep breath and started retelling stories about our "famous" ancestors, most of whom you won't find in most history books, but nevertheless made at least a somewhat significant contribution to the communities they helped found.

Then came the major blow. "But no one in show business or music? I was hoping we'd have someone that could help me become a famous actress or musician."

That child may be the death of me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment